We are committed to UK Data Protection laws and to protecting and respecting your privacy.
- It may be necessary for us to collect your personal information for the purposes of registering you as a user for part or all of the website www.jointhepod.org (the “Site”). Your responses help us to provide as complete a service as possible for you by ensuring that the Site reflects your needs and requirements.
- We use Google Analytics to collect data listing which of our pages are most frequently visited and by which type of users, technical information (i.e. IP addresses and types of browsers used) and information about your visit (i.e. date and time).
- EDF Energy may receive information from other sources including information we receive about you if you use any other websites we operate or the services we provide.
Data Protection and Disclosure
- Where EDF Energy maintains registrations it takes all reasonable endeavours to comply with all requirements of the UK Data Protection Act 1998 and any subordinate regulations created under it.
- EDF Energy will not disclose any of your personal information except with your permission or under special circumstances such as when it believes in good faith that the law requires disclosure or when we engage third parties to process data on our behalf.
Further Use of Information
- EDF Energy may occasionally send you communications about products and services that it feels may be of interest to you if you have indicated that you are interested in receiving such offers or information from us.
- EDF Energy does not sell, trade or rent user information to others unless you have given us permission. With your permission EDF Energy will only share your information with carefully chosen third parties which it believes to be reputable and trustworthy.
- ‘The Pod’ generates the following types of cookie: Anonymous cookies: every time a user visits our website, we generate an “anonymous” cookie. This is just to tell us whether or not you’ve visited the Site before; we look to see if the cookie is on your machine, and if there isn’t one we generate a new one. This allows us to track some important indicators – notably, how many individual unique users we have, and how often they visit the Site. This cookie cannot be used to identify an individual; it can only be used for these statistical purposes. Registration cookies: when you register with us, for instance to access ‘The Pod’, we generate another cookie. Our servers use this cookie to work out if you’re allowed access to a particular service. If the cookie’s there, we let you in. If it’s not, we don’t, and ask you to sign in. If you click “Remember me” when you sign in, this cookie stays on your machine until you sign out. Otherwise, it gets deleted either when you close your browser, or when you shut down your computer.
- You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at [firstname.lastname@example.org].
- Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to Information
- The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request will be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
EDF Energy’s Security Policy
- No data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, EDF Energy cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to EDF Energy and you do so at your own risk.
- Following transmission, EDF Energy will make best efforts to ensure the security of the information on its systems.
At EDF Energy we collect information about our users for two main reasons:
- To help us continually improve the service we offer.
- To inform prospective advertisers on our websites of the type of users of our websites to sell appropriate advertising space on the site, and so continue to keep the majority of the Site free for all our users.
We are absolutely committed to protecting your privacy. Our policy can be summarised in one sentence: we will not share your information with others without your prior consent. We have also established the following three principles:
- We will respect your email privacy, and will send you communications about products and services that we feel may be of interest to you, only if you have agreed to this.
- We will not pass on any individual user details (including your email address) unless we have your prior consent.
- Otherwise, we will only share aggregate statistics about our users, sales and traffic patterns with our advertisers.
What information do we collect?
If we do require you to register we collect only basic information. This will include your name and email address (if you are a pupil) and also your school details (if you are a governor or education professional). We may also ask some further, voluntary questions so we can gain a clearer understanding of our users. Your responses help us to sell appropriate advertising space and so keep the majority of the site free. They also enable us to personalise services for our users where appropriate.
We collect data listing which of our pages are most frequently visited and by which types of users. When you enter a contest or other promotional feature, we may ask for personal details and email.
How does EDF Energy protect customer information?
We do our utmost to protect user privacy. UK Data Protection Legislation means we follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information which you have given us, to prevent unauthorised access.
Why does EDF Energy use “cookies”?
“Cookies” are small pieces of information that are stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive. They make it possible for us to track some important indicators regarding the Site – notably, how many individual unique users we have, and how often they visit the site. In the case of registration cookies also make it possible for us to identify registered users without needing to ask for registration details every time you access one of our sites. Using cookies makes accessing password-protected areas of our site more convenient as you don’t need to remember your email address and password each time you enter these areas.
Will EDF Energy disclose the information it collects to outside parties?
EDF Energy does not sell, trade or rent your personal information to others unless you have given us your permission. With your permission we will only share the information with carefully chosen, third parties that we believe to be reputable and trustworthy. Also, EDF Energy may provide aggregate statistics about our customers, sales, traffic patterns and related site information to reputable third-party vendors, but these statistics will include no personal information from which users can be individually identified. EDF Energy follows the relevant legal requirements and uses all reasonable precautions to ensure only responsible third parties see the information, however we are not responsible for any breach of security or any actions of any third parties who receive the information.
What if you change your policy in future?
Any changes to our policy will be updated here.
Tell Us What You Think
EDF Energy welcomes your questions and comments.
Please e-mail email@example.com