The Pod – EDF Energy’s award winning education programme – is now the largest programme of its type.
The Pod in numbers:
- over 22,000 registered schools in the UK (over half the schools in the UK)
- over 10 million children engaged
- plus more than 200 schools from 54 other countries
Our programme has three main aims:
- To inspire young people and their families to choose a more sustainable lifestyle.
- To promote STEM (science, technology, engineering and maths) and encourage science and engineering as a career choice.
- To help children understand that a low carbon, secure and affordable energy supply is vital for the future.
www.jointhepod.org is an interactive website for teachers, community group leaders and children. It has free lesson plans, practical activities, assemblies, films, games and information, all with cross curricular links.
We work with a number of key organisations to develop the content: Eco-Schools England, the Met Office, the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO), the British Science Association and Wastebuster. All of the resources are aimed at 4 – 14 year olds and cover the topics of energy, waste, water, transport, biodiversity and climate science.
The ethos of the Pod is ‘Learn, Act and Inspire’. We have a rich range of teaching materials and actively encourage people who use the site to post blogs and to share their ideas.
We run the national campaigns including Switch-Off Fortnight and Waste Week, which help the whole school, parents and the local community to engage with important environmental messages – you can find out more about our campaigns and join in here.
You can find out more about education at EDF Energy here